Have you heard of the gut-brain axis? The microbiome? Have your heard how changing your gut can change your life? It might sound like a bold statement, but it’s true! More research is coming out, that having a healthy gut can change your life in more ways you might think!
The gut-brain axis is the bidirectional highway between the “gut brain” known as the enteric nervous system and the “head brain”, the central nervous system where your brain speaks to your gut and your gut speaks to your brain.
The microbiome encompasses your gut bacteria and your gut bacteria has a direct influence on the health of your gut-brain axis which can affect things like mood, anxiety, and motivation. When your microbiome is out of whack, you’ll feel it and when your microbiome is in balance, there’s a better conversation happening between your gut and your brain!
So How to Tell if you have an Out of Whack Gut...
- Irregular digestion: Are you heading to the bathroom more often than you should? Or not enough? Are you experiencing frequent cramps, bloating, gas, acid reflux, feeling “acidic”?
- Brain health: Do you often feel overwhelmed, stressed out, anxious, nervous, low mood, or depressed? It’s a delicate topic to say the least, but have you considered looking into the health of your gut?
- Skin health: Are you noticing annoyingly unmanageable skin conditions? Eczema, psoriasis, acne?
- Autoimmune disorders: Have you ever been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder? Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimoto’s?
- Vitamin deficiencies? The last time you had your blood tests done, were there any vitamin deficiencies?
Did you say yes to one or more of the above? If you did, your gut bacteria might be out of balance and you might be wondering what’s the best way to fix it? Well, the answer is quite simple and by changing your gut you can change your life. Follow these steps to re-balance your microbiome, aka your gut bacteria and drastically improve your gut health, the function of your gut-brain axis and your life! Try these for the next 30 days and let me know how it goes! I want to know how you feel afterwards!
- Manage your stress! This is number one in my books because stress can be the slow and silent killer! It wreaks havoc on your entire body and for too many of us, it causes systemic inflammation that can lead us to debilitating and even life-threatening diseases. If you're stressed, this puts your body into fight-or-flight mode and disrupts your digestion.
- Detox! Rid your body of built-up toxins and flush them out with a Cleanse!
- Get rid of the ANTI-NUTRIENTS! That means SUGAR, processed foods, dairy, bad oils like canola and soybean, and for many people, grains including rice or at least significantly cut down on these. Focus on whole foods and you’ll quickly improve the way you feel!
- Eat fermented foods! To encourage the good bacteria to colonize and flourish in your gut, eat things like sauerkraut and kimchi and drink water with apple cider vinegar and umeboshi vinegar. To learn how to make your own Sauerkraut, visit Amy Longard Events where you can sign up for a class!
- Take a probiotic! It’s important to get a high quality supplement that’s potent. If you’re seriously looking to rebuild your gut, one of my favourite Clinical Nutritionists, Christa Orecchio recommends MBC.
- Eat a ton of vegetables to improve your antioxidant, vitamin, mineral, and fibre intake! The roughage from the fibre is a friend to your microbiome!
- Cut out the drugs! Drugs that disrupt the microbiome include antibiotics and NSAIDs so if you can manage without them, you’ll do your microbiome a huge favour!
Want to part of the URBAN JUICE PRESS community? Sign up to our Newsletter and get $10 off any online or in-store purchase when you sign up!
Journal: Annals of Gastroenterology: The gut-brain axis: Interactions between enteric microbiota, central and enteric nervous systems
How Stress Wreaks Havoc on Your Gut and What You Can Do About It - by Chris Kresser
9 Steps To Perfect Health #5: Heal Your Gut - by Chris Kresser
Leave a comment